Monday, August 31, 2009

Just call me Elmer Fudd

I went rabbit hunting tonight!!! Not really, at least not intentionally. I was mowing the back yard when my foot went over a hole/soft spot in the ground. I thought to myself, "darn mole!" Boy was I wrong!! When I turned around to mow the next strip of grass, I saw something moving ahead of me! I quickly shut the mower off and yelled at Dan to move the moving thing. I thought it might have been a bird or something at first, but when I got closer, I saw that it was a baby bunny! I seriously almost started to cry b/c I thought I had killed it. Luckily the mower blades were to high to injure it, but I think I might have squished it some when I stepped on the nest. I then investigated the 'soft spot' only to have another baby come bounding out at me. Momma bunny wasn't to be found. Hopefully she'll be back. I am curious as to why she picked the middle of our backyard to build her nest.
This is the nest...can you see why I missed it?! Just looked like a pile of grass clippings.


Anyway, no bunnies were injured after all. Thank goodness! I can handle squishing bugs or snakes but not cute little bunnies!!

This is the sweet little guy (post squishing) cowering by the fence.

2 comments:

amywelborn said...

That is crazy!! I have never seen a rabbit nest before!!

Angi said...

Hopefully your scent didn't get on them because I don't think the mom will take care of them if she smells you. (Remember our rabbit birthing story from the farm?! lol!)